MIDDLEBURY— A resident of Helen Porter Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center has tested positive for COVID-19. The facility is notifying residents, family members of residents and staff of the case, which was discovered as a result of a facility-wide Phase 1 testing initiative as prescribed by the Vermont Department of Health. The resident is asymptomatic at this time and is in quarantine, as are employees who came in contact with the resident.
Helen Porter and all of Porter Medical Center have instituted policies to stop the spread of COVID-19, including restricting visitors, canceling communal dining, and asking staff to wear masks and gowns as appropriate.
“Resident and staff safety is our top priority,” said Helen Porter administrator Mary Jane Nottonson. “We are continuing to work hard to prevent the spread of the virus, including staying in very close communication with local and state health officials to ensure we are taking all the appropriate steps.”
No additional information can be shared about this resident to protect their privacy, but we will continue to update our community with any information that we can appropriately share.
Visitors are not permitted at Helen Porter at this time, with very limited exceptions. Family members are encouraged to connect with their loved ones through video chat, calling, texting, or other social media formats.
About The University of Vermont Health Network
The University of Vermont Health Network is an academic health system that is comprised of six affiliate hospitals, a multi-specialty medical group, and a home health agency. We serve the residents of Vermont and northern New York with a shared mission: working together, we improve people’s lives. Our partners include:
▪ The University of Vermont Medical Center
▪ The University of Vermont Health Network Medical Group
▪ The University of Vermont Health Network – Alice Hyde Medical Center
▪ The University of Vermont Health Network – Central Vermont Medical Center
▪ The University of Vermont Health Network – Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital
▪ The University of Vermont Health Network – Elizabethtown Community Hospital
▪ The University of Vermont Health Network – Porter Medical Center
▪ The University of Vermont Health Network – Home Health and Hospice
Our 4,000 health care professionals are driven to provide high quality, cost-efficient care as close to home as possible. Strengthened by our academic connection to the University of Vermont, each of our hospitals remains committed to its local community by providing compassionate, personal care shaped by the latest medical advances and delivered by highly skilled experts.